December 28, 2017
Eldorado in Hell
In October 2016, Miro and Fanny, in their late twenties, were preparing a trip to Yukon: like thousands of other apprentice adventurers, they were dreaming of a morel eldorado. They bought an old Westfalia for this 12,000 km journey and they were looking for advice, contacts, and bear repellent.
Wild morels emerge en masse in the burns of Western North-America the spring following previous summer’s forest fires. Lately, the fires had been sparse: the next harvest would be meager, but prices were rising. Above all, they had to locate the promising burn areas and avoid the crowd of gatherers.
In late May 2017, they hit the road. Near their goal, in Fort Nelson B.C., they hit a snag; their brakes failed and had to be repaired. Crossing the Yukon border, at Watson Lake, in the crowd of adventurers, they met the pair we had put them in contact with. They got outfitted and bought their picking permits. The party met at the edge of a burn, 10km north of the Alaska Highway. Unfortunately, they were not alone there.
After five days of walking in a mosquito-infested lunar setting, they had pocketed $ 300 for 50 lbs of fresh morels. The rains of June 10 and 11 made picking and dehydrating less plausible. They decided to return slowly, passing through Vancouver where they could admire the grizzly bear in the comfort of a zoo.
Recently, they offered us their last pounds of dried morels which was not quite enough to pay for the brakes. They plan to return next spring. In the region, the latest fires have been devastating. The harvest should therefore be more abundant, but then, prices will fall and the crowd will have to be avoided.
If their adventures interest you, check out Langdon Cook in The Mushroom Hunters and Benoît Peyre in À la poursuite des morilles de feu are superb storytellers.
- December 2017
- October 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- December 2016
- March 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- July 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- September 2014
- March 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- July 2013
- April 2013
- February 2013
- November 2012
- July 2012
- January 2012
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- - The Mycological Society of Montreal
- - The Mycological Society of the Outaouais
- - The Mycological Society of Alma
- - The Mycological Society of Québec
- - The Saguenay Mycological Society Inc.
- - The Mycological Society of Sudbury
- - The Toronto Mycological Society
- - Association of the Chemical Profession of Ontario - Poison Control Center
- - Association des Mycophiles Sylvifrancs
- - Intellicast: accurate precipitation readings of the past 7 days
- - Mycoquébec
- - The Québec Mycoblogue
- - Identification Key of Entolomatacea in the Pacific Northwest
- - A compilation of mycological information found on the internet
- - Benoît Peyre
- - When mushrooms and photography collide
- - General Mushroom Info (France)
- - Steps to identifying your harvest (France)
- - Good advice for finding and identifying (France)
- - The Eguisheim Mushroom Boutique (France)
- - The Villefranche Mushroom Boutique (France)