Chanterelle and clam chowder
- Preparation: 30 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Portions: 4
- 1/4 cup of chopped pancetta
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 3 diced small new potatoes
- 1-2 chopped celery stalk
- Kernels from 1-2 corn on the cob or 425 ml of canned corn kernels
- 300 g of fresh or frozen girolles torn to pieces or 40g of milled girolles
- 1 kg of fresh clams or 1 can of clams
- 4-5 cups of 2% milk to cover the vegetables
- 2 tbs of butter
- 2 tbs of oil
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped chive
Let the clams soak 20 minutes in salted water to remove the sand. Brush well and eliminate those that have opened.
If necessary, clean the girolles under running water using a brush. Blot well dry.
Heat the oil in a large cooking pot, on medium heat, add and sauté the pancetta with the onions. Once the onions are translucent, add the girolles. Stir and cook 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining vegetables and butter and stir. Cook 5 minutes. Increase cooking temperature to high heat, add milk and salt. Bring to a light boil. Add the clams, cover and reduce temperature to medium heat and bring the liquid to simmering point. Cook 5-10 minutes or until all the clams have opened.
Pepper generously. Serve with a chive garnish.
A few girolles will also make a nice garnish: sauté in oil until golden and deposit on the soup upon serving.